Re: [tlug] DNS servers down?

>From: Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com>
>
> >nameserver 192.168.200.1
> >nameserver 202.229.69.6
>
> > DHCP is giving me that.
>
>OK, why?  The usual wisdom is to use your ISP's nameservers.

That makes sense. I don't know the why of it but it might have to do with
the fact that this office is directly connected to gps.co.jp. One LAN
(192.168.200.x) is ISDN *and* (somehow) gps.co.jp is also on that LAN.
192.168.200.1 might be the LAN address of the nameserver ... let me check
... don't know. I can telnet to it but not on port 53 (the DNS port).

How can I check if 192.168.200.1 is a DNS server or not. Let me think ... I
did

$dig @example.com www.hotmail.com

and got back DNS info. Does that mean it is a nameserver?

>BTW, www.gps.co.jp is a CNAME to rent.gps.co.jp, one of
>their two nameservers. It doesn't seem to have any content,
>though, just a blank white page.  It's also their secondary
>MX.

You are a fountain of information as always Jonathan!

Jc