[tlug] soundcard/cardmgr/kernel problems

Sorry to bother some with beginner questions and problems.

Hello,

I finally got my first Linux-running computer when I "de-microsoft-ed" my Fujitsu-Biblo-NEVIII23, yesterday.

I am using this laptop to learn using Linux before I can switch my main computer (which will happen when I get my next computer). I am testing if I am able to switch with all necessary software or if I can find replacement software. Additionally, I have to find out if I also can retire my Macintoshs by using virtual OS'

In the beginning, the notebook had two logical drives on one physical drive. After removing the D drive and the extended partition, I installed SuSE 8.0. At that time, SuSE installed only a minimal system (text only) despite 3GB harddisk. I then re-installed SuSE and now I have a standard system (including KDE).

SuSE 8.0 Standard System on a 233 MMX Pentium is slow. I would not recommend it to someone who wants to use it for his/her daily work. I know there are other distributions which would give better results but I prefer to have a system with German helptexts for the beginning of this adventure.

There are some problems with the sound card (ES1879PnP Audiodrive ESS).
When trying to install it manually (did not detect it automatically), I get an error message (freely translated from German):
kernelmodule snd-es18xx could not be loaden, possible reason wrong module parameter or invalid IQ or IRQ parameter, check if ALSA (series snd) is correctly installed, if yes, eventuelly pass options to module, if still not working try OSS/FREE from shell

I have a console message:
cardmgr[523]: config error []

on KDE I get another message:
kernel: "1b 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00"
kernel: error in command packet byte 4 bit 0

I have no ideas where to look for learning to resolve these problems. Please give me a hint.

I installed the internet access for Konqueror and run into one problem:
when trying to follow links on the main page of www.suse.de, I only get timeout messages (doesn't happen with IE and with Konqueror on another side).

The online update via YAST2 from ftp.suse.de doesn't work either. Somehow it doesn't want to connect, it only says that it cannot connect.

Thank you for any help.
Michael