Re: [tlug] DNS servers down?

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:14:26 +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> General question concerning DNS servers. I have two networks at work (ISDN
> and ADSL) and I can "see" an outside machine by "name" (not ip) on one
> network (ISDN) but not on the other (ADSL). I get an error message like
> this:
>
> [root@example.com]# telnet www.av-navi.co.jp 80
> telnet: www.av-navi.co.jp: Temporary failure in name resolution
> www.av-navi.co.jp: Host name lookup failure
>
> However a telnet to other world machines (like hotmail) works fine.
>
> Does this mean that some nameserver (possibly my ADSL provider's) is
> misbehaving?
>
> What can I do to diagnose this problem further so that I can find the root
> problem and how to fix it?

Try 'dig'.
Be more specific.  What makes you so sure it is the network and not the
machine in question?  How are you testing?  Using one machine and
switching between networks or two(hopefully more than two) different
machines?

What does /etc/resolv.conf look like?

Is it just this one host (www.av-navi.co.jp) that you cannot lookup, or
is that just one of many.

Basically, run through a number of tests and paste in the results like you
did for the above telnet and have them clearly labeled as ADSL or ISDN.

Michael