Re: [tlug] dir name

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, hatsuhiro wrote:

> I'd like to just change a directory name for a partition. For instance,
> "/part/dir1" has to switch to "/part/dir2". After /etc/fstab is rewritten,
> what else do I need to do? I tried rebooting the system, but it was not
> changed.
>
> Hoshino

You dont need to reboot. For example, if you want to remount /home to
/usr/home:

[vuhung@example.com tmp]$ mount
/dev/sda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda4 on /home type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
[vuhung@example.com tmp]$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sda3               /                       ext3    defaults        1
1
/dev/sda1               /boot                   ext3    defaults        1
2
/dev/sda4               /home                   ext3    defaults        1
2
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0
0
/dev/sga                /mnt/cd-rw              iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0
0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner    0
0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0
0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0
0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0
0
/dev/sda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0
0
/home/SWAP              swap                    swap    defaults        0
0
[vuhung@example.com tmp]$ pwd
/tmp

1) umount /home
2) mount -t ext3 /dev/sda4 /usr/home

And you may want to change /home to /usr/home as well...

HTH

|            Nguyen Hung.Vu( vuhung@example.com )              |
| The University of Electro-Communications, Tokyo, Japan   |
| Takeshi's small space   http://site.techviet.com/vuhung/ |
| Join KDE-i18n-Vi?       http://vi.i18n.kde.org/          |
| VYSA                    http://vysasports.vngate.net/    |
| Vn Linux Users Group    http://vietlug.sourceforge.net/  |