Re: [tlug] Suse 8.0 & gnome updates

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 01:10:13AM +0900, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> Josh Glover (jmglov@example.com) wrote:
>
> > proverbial handbasket. With GNOME, I almost feel like I am in Windows,
> > there are so many strange segfaults. And the CPU cycles that it drains!
>
> I don't get any segfaults, at least not in Gnome apps.  The
> Yahoo version of Yahoo Messenger does it periodically, but I somehow
> doubt that it's Gnome's fault - Gaim never does it :-)
>
> Of course, I mostly use Gnome for running Kterms and Gnome-terms,
> with Mozilla being one of the few graphical applications I actually
> use, that could have something to do with it.
>
> Anybody tried Gnome 2 yet?

Yeah, I am playing with it at home right now.  I don't think it is going
to replace E for me though.  It is alot better than Gnome 1.4[1].
They improved nautilus a good bit. I think that is about the only thing I really
found useful[2].

Otherwise, I bind all my programs to hot-keys[3] so I don't really use the
menus at all.  I suspect that I am not really their target audience. It funny
but at this point, I only use E because I like the pagers and icon boxes. If
I found something cleaner that would provide window shading, pagers, icon boxes,
and good keybindings I would probably switch to it. I like E but it is quirky
and as the underlying libs get upgraded it gets weirder and weirder.

--Matt
(hit send to quick there)
[1]. I have limited experience with both so take my view with a grain of
     salt or three.

[2]. It is great for browsing those pics from your digicam. Makes finding
     what you want alot faster.

[3]. I love that windows key. It IS good for something. ;)