Re: [tlug] Ghostscript hell

    Matt> Grrrrrrrr. Here I am about to tear my hair out over
    Matt> Ghostscript, not for the first time.

tee hee been there done that.  Since 1991.

    Matt> VFLib-enabled Ghostscript installed (I believe the package
    Matt> is gs-5.10jp, from /debian/dists/potato/main)

Forget potato and gs-5.10jp, and probably VFlib too.[1]  This stuff is
quite broken on Debian, I've never gotten around to figuring it out
(and the defoma stuff is quite defoma'ed, which makes things worse).

    Matt> But rather than get into all that gory detail, I'd like to
    Matt> first ask what version of Ghostscript everybody else is
    Matt> using (especially if you can in fact print Japanese).

I haven't succeeded in using TrueType fonts yet, but a vanilla 7.01
(gotta upgrade ;) prints Type1 Japanese fonts fine.  CID de mo....  It
takes a bit of trickery though because the fonts I have are "encrypted".

Footnotes:
[1]  5 points for guessing what ancient Fleetwood Mac hit is running
through my brain right now.