Re: [tlug] cheap, reliable co-location?

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, ayako kato wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
>
> > a good co-lo space: redundant power, Halon fire suppression, redundant
>
> Does anyone actually use Halon extinguishers nowadays ?
>
> I thought Halon is banned because it depletes ozone layer.  At least in
> the US ... perhaps also in Japan ...
Big datacentres still do, although many have converted to FM200. I know
for instance that Telehouse UK does. Speaking of which, if there was not
the Japan constraint and/or you want something elsewhere, there are two
colo companies that I am involved with, both of which started from a
collection of friends who wanted to get a rack:

Each costs 40ukp/mon (~7000Y) per U

Bogons colo: http://www.bogons.net/
you get 10GB/mon, SSH to console term server, 1*100Mbps switch port
1*IP (PI space)
Bogons is also Sun hardware only. However you can buy machines quite cheaply,
or you can rent for less.

Spodcolo: http://www.jump.org.uk/colo/
you get 40GB/mon, SSH to console term server, 1*100Mbps switch port.
x*IP (PI space)

Both of them are located in Telehouse docklands (London,UK) on a fat pipe
(also on LINX + LoNAP).

</gratuitousplug> :)

Tim.

--
With all of the advances in modern science, life is still 100% fatal.
Tim Hurman - Email: kano at kano.org.uk - Phone: Yeah right.