Re: [tlug] [OT]: PHP/MySQL: Japanese input/ouput prgramming advice docs sought

    Keith> I don't want to start up a religious war here on postgres
    Keith> vs mysql, but have you considered using Postgres for this?
    Keith> I know that postgres has some pretty good support for
    Keith> multibyte character encodings

Postgres's support is very robust as far as it goes.

    Keith> including UTF-8 and EUC-JP, both of which are supported in
    Keith> php.  Again, i'm not 100% sure about collation issues
    Keith> (e.g. sorting) but I'm

AFAIK it uses "natural order", not locale-specific information for
this (locale-specific collation is rather difficult for a distributed
system).  Unless your app returns lots of data via cursors, it's
preferable to sort client-side anyway.