[tlug] [OT]: PHP/MySQL: Japanese input/ouput prgramming advice docs sought

Sorry for the OT post but I am hoping that since this list is based in Japan
and many PHP/MySQL user also use Linux someone might be able to point me in
the righ direction ... (please don't flame, Google is my friend but didn't
provide much this time or else I am bad at wording my queries)

I'm in the planning stages of Japanese web site that will be using
PHP/MySQL. I have never worked with PHP or MySQL in any language other than
english and I am worried that I will be facing many though issues because of
the many japanese character sets.

Can anyone point me to any references, tutorials, links, that I can read in
order to best plan ahead? Even basic things like how to receive japanese
data into PHP or inputting/retrieving/sorting japanese into MySQL are a
mystery to me.

Any help/pointers are greatly appreciated!

Jc