[tlug] [annce] TLUG Technical Meeting - July 6th

Hi!

Apologies for not sending this out sooner ... Things have been crazy.

Anyway, please squeeze this one into your busy schedule. I hope to see you
all there!  If any questions, please write to me.

-=-=-=-=- Tokyo Linux Users Group July 2002 Meeting Announcement -=-=-=-=-

All Linux lovers, and supporters of open source code and free software are
invited to attend the next Tokyo Linux Users Group meeting. Membership is
open to anyone. There are currently no membership dues or entrance fees.

Date:	Saturday, July 6th, 2002

Place:	Leading Edge Co., Ltd.

	Meeting room was made available for TLUG's technical meeting
	by courtesy of Leading Edge Co., Ltd.

	Leading Edge home page has the map:
	http://www.leadinge.co.jp/access/body_e.html

Time:	13:30 (until around 17:00)

Topics:

1. "Introduction to Gentoo Linux" by Jack Morgan and Ryan Shaw

The following is a brief description by Jack:

"Gentoo Linux is a versatile and fast, completely free Linux distribution
for x86, PowerPC, Sparc and Sparc64 that's geared towards Linux power
users. Unlike other distros, Gentoo Linux has an advanced package
management system called Portage. Portage is a true ports system in the
tradition of BSD ports, but is Python-based and sports a number of
advanced features including dependencies, fine-grained package management,
"fake" (OpenBSD-style)  installs, path sandboxing, safe unmerging, system
profiles, virtual packages, config file management, and more.

During the presentation we will give a short introduction to Gentoo Linux,
discuss the three stages of installing, and some Gentoo specific tools,
including portage, USE, ebuilds, etc We will also explain porting a
package to Gentoo, how to write an ebuild, Japanese localization, and
demonstonstrate installing a package."

2. TLUG server admin policy

Alberto Tomita will run a panel discussion on the TLUG server
administration policy, with the presence of the former and current TLUG
server administration team:

	Chris Sekiya (former admin)
	A.Sajjad Zaidi (current admin)
	Yoshihiko Baba (webmaster)
	Ayako Kato (assistant admin / nomikai photo master)

3. What's new ? Free discussion on new software TLUGers are into nowadays.

4. TLUG auction

Bring items which you think others may be interested in using. (Hardware,
books, etc.) Proceeds go to the TLUG account, and will be spent for things
like domain name registration and server maintenance.  Doners are
responsible to take the item back home if it's unsold.  (hint: Windows NT
CDROMs tend to be very unpopular.)

After the meeting:

We will continue chatting over a few beers. (Place is to be decided
later.)

Contact:

	Mauro ......090-2492-0840 (Keitai)
	Kato  ......070-5591-7003 (PHS)