Re: [tlug] new computer configuration

Sorry for the late reply.  I don't think I'll ever catch up with this
mailing list again.

"Matt Doughty" <mdoughty@example.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 12:05:55AM -0400, Josh Glover wrote:
> > Nguyen Hung Vu wrote:
> > >
> > >Install Mandrake *first* and use DrakX to re-partition your HDD.
> > >When you get mandrake installed. Use grub as a boot loader.
> > >I suggest you doing a search on google.com
> >
> > Um, IIRC from my distant experiences installing Windows and Linux on the
> > same box, won't Windows steal the MBR, thus disabling Grub?
>
> Yes that is but one of the many possible obstacles to multi-OS installs.
> That is why this is a RTFM question. There is no short/correct answer
> to this question.

But there is a short answer to the problem of MBR stealing.  During or after
installing Linux, make a boot floppy.  After installing Linux, back up the
MBR (e.g. using the dd command) and back up any other important boot
records.  After installing anything else, boot the Linux boot floppy and
restore any desired boot records.