[tlug] Opera 6.0 and 6.0-1

I won't have a chance to play with this till about 8:00 PM EDT tonight,
(7:00 AM on July 3rd in Japan) so I was wondering if someone knows the
answer off the top of their head--if not, please don't bother, I'll
figure it out tonight.

At any rate, I've been using Opera 6.0 without problems--its autodetect
language usually worked, and if it didn't, fixing encoding enabled it to
read Japanese without problem. Last night, playing around with a
scripted Gentoo install (which got totally borked due to some careless
typing) :) I tried the latest version, 6.0-1 or 0_1.

When I started it, I got an error message that it was missing something
in /opt (Usually, I've downloaded the tar.gz, untarred, decompressed and
just type sh install.sh and it puts itself in /usr/bin with nothing in
/opt) and that I might have trouble reading foreign characters--this
turned out to be the case, I got nothing but mojibake.

My question is, is this normal with the latest version--that is, that
it looks for some character sets in /opt?  Or is more likely due to the
various and sundry problems with the install, of which there were
several?

Again, I'll be able to play with this tonight, but just wondering if
someone knows the answer off the top of their head it'll save me a
little digging.

Scott from NY