Re: [tlug] 802.11b PCMCIA Options

>  > 2)Does anyone have experience with either of these cards under Linux? How good of a brand is Corega? Ideally any card would also function under an English-language version of  Windows as well.
>  >

> I bought a buffalo card 2 years ago and there was no problem. There
> are mainly two chipsets used in such cards. The lucent/orinoco and the
> prism2. Both are well supported under linux and as long as you know
> which kind you have it won't be a problem to adjust your pcmcia
> configuration in case that the card is not recognized by the cardmanager.

Dear Marcus,

Thank you for the information.

The Buffalo card has the Lucent / Orinoco / Agere chipset, which as your link and other show, is well supported.  I am going to borrow one to try on my system before committing though.  I also noticed that the Corega, which does openly say Linux compatible, has the Prism II chipset which is also well supported.

I suppose I was worrying about all the extra software that comes with these drivers for Windows and wondering what I would be missing by using  a card such as the Buffalo which is not officially linux supporting.

Thanks again,
Rod

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=N2P0602NEP8