Re: [tlug] Voice IM on Linux

A.Sajjad Zaidi (sajjad@example.com) wrote:

> Which version of what client with which Wine?

Current version of Yahoo, tracking wine in CVS.  When I got
one that supported Total Control Manager well, I stopped
tracking it so closely.  The last snapshot was very
nice, cleared up some issues with TCM, but it was still
a total bust WRT YM.  That was a couple months ago.
The big trouble with Ym was that it wanted Windows RAS
mode, which was (still is?) completely unimplemented
in Wine.  That's why it would install but not do anything
worth while after that.  I mean, you could start it, but
you'd never get as far as connecting to a Yahoo server.

> rpms from http://wine.dataparty.no/. Yahoo was a bit unstable and didnt
> test it much, but AOL works flawlessly for text.

If that's as good as it gets, just use the native Linux ones,
which also do text flawlessly (as does GAIM, which supports
all the major protocols, not just AIM).  Unless a Windows
version under Wine can give me all the functionality of
running it under Windows (OK, I don't care about Yahoo
IMvironments, but I do want voice and I do want webcam view
and webcam broadcast), there's no point.  The basic features
are all supported perfectly well by a number of official and
unofficial native Linux client .

> Cant find anyone that can do voice to test it, but will try agian
> tomorrow and post an update.

I have a Windows box at home, I can test it with you.  My Yahoo
ID is yamame2002.  I'm usually on between 23:00 and midnight.
Sometimes a little earlier.

Jonathan