Re: [tlug] Changing from Dial-up to Fiber optics

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 07:58:49PM +0900, Shimpei Yamashita wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 06:21:59PM +0900,
> Jack Morgan wrote:
> > I don't think many people have FTTH yet. You don't really need anything special
> > AFAIK. The ISP will give you a modem/router that you just plug your hub/switch/PC
> > into.
>
> I'm trying to get B-Flets to my manshon (not to be confused with mansion)
> right now. Progress report will be made available if there is interest.
>
> Main software problem is probably going to be PPPoE. According to a third-
> party web page, the driver CD-ROM that NTT (*) provides actually includes
> source code to a Linux PPPoE driver. That would be a massively pleasant
> surprise, but we'll see.

Well since this seems to be of interest.  I have had B-flets for about 3-4
months now.  It has worked like a charm, and while I didn't have pppoe on
the CD it was trivial to install rp-pppoe, and I had a working box up in
about 20 minutes.  As for the box, you get it from NTT.  Just like flets
you jump through the same hoops as far as connection stuff.  Anyway, it
has worked like a charm, and while I haven't gotten 10Mbit throughput it
has been more than fast enough. I have absolutely no complaints.  Any
questions just ask away.

--Matt