Re: [tlug] Confessions of a closet OpenBSD user

Matt Doughty wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 01:10:15PM -0400, Josh Glover wrote:
>
>>OK, I have been called on a couple of things that have been going on
>>recently, so I must come clean.
>>
>>I use OpenBSD. Even worse (and more shocking), I like it and agree with
>>its design philosophy. The same goes for OpenSSH.
>

> *shrug* I used it at one point. There is redemption. ;) I have to
> question your sanity on agreeing with OpenSSH design philosophy
> though. I think we have massacred that horse though so I'm not going
> to discuss again here.

Sorry, I meant that I liked OpenSSH, not that its design was good.

>>I agree, and here is my repentence and clarification. Please feel free
>>to assign penance as you see fit.
>

> penance:
> 10 weeks working the help desk at AOL. You are required to be nice. ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, even Microsoft Tech Support would be less painful!

>>3) I agree wholeheartedly with the design philosophy behind OpenBSD,
>>especially how default installs work.
>

> Yeah there default everything off approach is the right one, but they
> aren't the only ones who do that.

True. We have established that in our other thread.

>>4) I would like to see OpenBSD get better and better, and am interested
>>in getting personally involved in the project, as time and my limited
>>knowledge allow.
>

> Hmm. more penance may be in order. ;)

According to your theories, working on OpenBSD should be sufficient
penance in of itself, ja nai ka?

>>10) It was not fair of me to simply make an anti-OpenSSH statement and
>>not clarify my position at all.
>

> Fair? Life ain't fair.  I certainly make complete unfair comments all the
> time, and I expect you to continue to do the same.  Someone will invariably
> set you down if you act up to much. :)

Yes, they will, they did, and moreover, I feel that they were correct in
doing so. Here, I was wrong (that will not happen again, don't worry!
;), hence my long apology.

>>In conclusion, I apologise for my remarks about OpenSSH, which were
>>off-the-cuff and not very fair.
>

> Man someone laid into you good didn't they. Lets be honest most of us
> have not dug through all the source code for these things.

No, they were very polite, actually. The whole conversation grew out of
someone mentioning that anti-OpenBSD atmosphere in almost an offhand
way, me inquiring privately about it, and clarifications by the OP.

I continued the discussion because I wanted to understand their position
  more clearly, and I pretty much asked, "Did I personally offend you?"
Their response was very well worded, and I saw that I had done a few
things in a decidedly less-than-optimal fashion.

>>Also, I hope that no-one on this list takes comments made by anyone else
>>without at least a grain of salt. That can be dangerous.
>

> Especially ones make by me. ;)

Dude, you have been plonked by me time and again. I do not know why your
emails keep showing up in my TLUG folder. Are you using some hard-core
stealth email technology? ;)

OK, I need to go home for lunch and a shower (slept at the office last
night, thanks to all the time I lost for work while trying to clean up
after Apache and OpenSSH this past week). I will continue posting to
this thread *after* I get some legitimate work done! ;)

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.