Re: [tlug] unsubscribe

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:04:17 +0900 (JST)
ayako kato <ayako.kato@example.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, B0Ti wrote:
> > I didn't mean to block emails that contain the word anywhere in the
> > body or subject of the email. Rather:  Check if Subject is
> > "unsubscribe" and/or Body is only "unsubscribe".
>
> ... but how many unsubscribe messages actually matches
> that description ?
>
> typically the unsubscribe messages take the following forms:
>
> 1. subject is unsubscribe, body is empty
> 2. subject is unsubscribe, body is not empty (.signature, etc)
> 3. subject is unsbusrcieb, body is empty
> 4. subject is unsbusrcieb, body is not empty (.signature etc)
> 5. subject is Re: unsubscribe foobar, body is flame
>
> the only case were we should send autoreply is when the
> message matches 1.
> but the majority of the intended unsubscribe requests come in the format
> of 2 through 4, don't you think ?
>
> (5 is there for the fun)
>
> the message body should be empty. but the filter should also work if
> people inadvertently included their signature/footer messages.  a simple
> string matching just wouldn't do....

if Subject StartsWith "unsubscribe" sendAutoReply
if Body StartsWith "unsubscribe" sendAutoReply

Isn't this simple? I think it covers all the unsubscribe attempts.

An alternative to the centralized solution is that all listmembers should
add a procmail rule to their .procmailrc that would send out the
AutoReply, so we wouldn't have to stress the listadmin to implement this.
And the poor guy would receive a few dozen (hundred?) replies in different
flavors. ;)

--
B0Ti.