[tlug] Perl Q: how to check if a file is "busy"

I wrote a very simple perl program to mv some files around. But
unfortunately it cannot tell when a file it is tryig to "mv" is currently
being written to and shouldn't be moved until it is no longer bing written
to.

I've had a look at Perl's flock but it didn't quite seem to work.

What are some mechanisms I can use to wait until a file is "free" before
mv'ing it? Are there any system calls I could us that do this?

Jc