From: Josh Glover [mailto:jmglov@example.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 12:32 PM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: Re: [tlug] Root - NO KDE

James Cluff wrote:

> I select not even to be able to log in as root.  I have to log in as a
> normal user and then SU to root - if I need to do something as root.  When
> first started, I found it was easier to just loggin as root of course, but
> think disabling root loggin is a good practice.

Not using your system as root is a good practise. As Jonathon points
out, disabling local root login is of limited utility.

I would also point out that in most cases, using sudo is safer even than
su'ing. Having root prompts hanging around is pretty dangerous, as the
ttys can be hijacked or you can simply forget to lock your terminal,
etc. sudo, if you are not familiar with it, allows you to run arbitrary
commands as root (or any other user, depending on your config file).

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.