Re: [tlug] Re: Piping stderr?

At 21 Jun 2002 18:21:56 +0900,
Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>>  Try to input and edit UTF-8 characters(except ASCII, of
>> course :-p) on your shell, you'll see the problems ;-).
>
> I don't think so.
>
> M-x prefer-coding-system RET utf-8 RET
> M-x shell RET
>
> Mondai nai, guy.  ;-)

 hum, I haven't tried it ... Well  I needed one more magic spell

M-x set-buffer-process-coding system

 But it's quite impressive :-).

 Emacs acts like both input method and output filter program.  huhm.

At 21 Jun 2002 18:21:56 +0900,
Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I know, there are people who don't live in X?Emacs.  But this
> points out the _real_ problem.  So where's the problem?  The problem
> is in the terminal.  Or more precisely, the shell's terminal handling.
>
> There is nothing I can think of that is part of the "core competence"
> of shells that requires being able to count characters, let alone deal
> with the brain-damage of ISO-2022 designation sequences or Shift JIS.
> We really should refactor this terminal-handling stuff out of _all_
> the shells.[1]  And while we're at it, all shells should have the
> option of calling out to a real editor for command line editing.  This
> really requires setting up the editor as a server, even gnuclient is
> too heavyweight to execute just to gets(). ;-)

 ahhh, I see.  What you want is proper input method, I think.

> I do this kind of refactoring all the time, by the way.  By hand, eg,
> "iconv -f euc-jp -t utf-8 | less" is a common idiom on uxterms, and I
> do similar things for grep &co if I'm dealing with ISO-2022 7-bit
> text.  It would be nice if it were more convenient.  But I really
> dislike being tied to localized or even i18n-ized versions of software
> that do badly things that they don't need to do at all.

 I know some people do have the opinion like you.  But if you have i18n
software but you don't like to use it, just switch the locale to 'C'
when you use the software.  This is what you want ;-).

 So I believe I18N software can satisfy both people who don't want I18N
and people who want.  Isn't it nice?

> Footnotes:
> [1]  libreadline is a great idea, damn shame it has that obnoxious
> license.  Which is why zsh won't use it.

 I think there is a similar stuff from *BSD community...

--
Jiro SEKIBA | Web tools & AP Linux Competency Center, YSL, IBM Japan