Re: [tlug] Watching dvd in Linux

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 11:18:18AM -0400, Josh Glover wrote:
> <tongue-in-cheek>
> Mplayer sucks. Use vlc!
> </tongue-in-cheek>
>
> I have not played with Mplayer,

Then it couldn't possible suck :-)

> but I have used both vlc (VideoLAN  Client)[1] and xine[2] to successfully
> watch DVDs. xine does not natively support encrypted DVDs, as they are
> unsure of the legality of the various and sundry decss libraries floating
> about. However, a plugin is available (I think the xine guys even give you
> the link off of their  page.)

I believe your an area 1 DVD watcher so not a problem for you. Here in Japan
area 2, Xine out of the box doesn't work. I'm using xine-ui-0.9.10-r1 which has
a new API. As a result those plugins, xine-d4d/xine-d4d, don't work with the
new API yet, AKAICT. Mplayer on the other hand, does work out of the box.

> VideoLan is a really kewl project, IMO. They are trying to come up with
> a streaming MPEG client-server system. I have not played with the
> server, but I like the client a lot. Full-featured, plays most of my
> DVDs pretty well. Of course, there is still the occasional segfault,
> which I do not see much with xine.

VLC is the one DVD player I've yet to try. It does look interesting. Perhaps,
I'll give it a try.

> How is Mplayer in terms of stability and features (DVD menus, language
> and subtitle selection, etc), Jack?

It's best to use the latest/greatest version. I'm using mplayer-0.90_pre5-r1,
which is skinable, has menues, etc. I find starting mplayer from a terminal
is best. The gui has got a long way to go. I haven't got around to language
or subtitles yet.

--
Jack Morgan						<j-morgan@example.com>
GnuPG Key ID: 0x620F545F				http://pgp.mit.edu