Re: [tlug] Watching dvd in Linux

A.Sajjad Zaidi wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 11:18:18AM -0400, Josh Glover wrote:
>
>><tongue-in-cheek>
>>Mplayer sucks. Use vlc!
>></tongue-in-cheek>
>

> But it supports the most number of formats. And its now fully GPL'd. I
> love it, although I admit I havent tried xine lately.

I have never used it, so

a) I would not know anything about its features, and
b) do not think that it sucks.

I was just playa-hatin' for the sake of being a bastard.

> Mplayer supports playing audio and video streams as well. You can even
> pipe a stream to it.

Excellent. It seems that I have been a bit remiss in not trying it out yet.

>>How is Mplayer in terms of stability and features (DVD menus, language
>>and subtitle selection, etc), Jack?
>

> Im usually just interested in watching the DVD so dont look at the
> menus, but I think it supports them in GUI mode. The same goes for
> subtitles. The language can be chosen with a command line option.

Oh man! I live for the music videos, extra footage, outtakes, etc... ;)

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.