Re: [tlug] Watching dvd in Linux

Jack Morgan wrote:
> I finally got around to setting up my dvd player in Linux. I'm using
> Mplayer as it has the best support for libdvdcss AFAICT. Anyone else
> watching dvd's in Linux?

<tongue-in-cheek>
Mplayer sucks. Use vlc!
</tongue-in-cheek>

I have not played with Mplayer, but I have used both vlc (VideoLAN
Client)[1] and xine[2] to successfully watch DVDs. xine does not
natively support encrypted DVDs, as they are unsure of the legality of
the various and sundry decss libraries floating about. However, a plugin
is available (I think the xine guys even give you the link off of their
page.)

VideoLan is a really kewl project, IMO. They are trying to come up with
a streaming MPEG client-server system. I have not played with the
server, but I like the client a lot. Full-featured, plays most of my
DVDs pretty well. Of course, there is still the occasional segfault,
which I do not see much with xine.

How is Mplayer in terms of stability and features (DVD menus, language
and subtitle selection, etc), Jack?

--Josh

[1] http://videolan.org/
[2] http://xine.sourceforge.net/