[tlug] Apache: Log: how to log only certain errors?

I want to have my apache server only log certain errors/condition to file
but I can seem to get conditional logging to work.

According to books I have and some online tutorials I thought I would be
able to log 404 *and only* 404 errors using something like this:

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t %404i"

But this "conditional" %404 only applies to the following field and not the
whole log line.

I also tried conditional logging using SetEnvIf but can't find any variables
that suit my needs.

How can do conditional logging of the form:

1- log to file A only requests that get a 404 response code
2- log to file B only request for which the server returned more than 100Kb
3- log to file C only requests received between 3 am and 5 am

I've searched Google and the few Apache books I have but haven't come up
with anything.

Can anyone give me a pointer to some resources describing how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Jc