Re: [tlug] Running an Exec file with Cron

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 20:57, B0Ti wrote:

> BTW, from the crontab manual:
>        Although cron requires that each entry in a crontab end in
>        a newline character, the neither the crontab  command  nor
>        the  cron  daemon  will  detect  this  error. Instead, the
>        crontab will appear load normally.  However,  the  command
>        will  never  run.  The  best choice is to ensure that your
>        crontab has a blank line at the end.
>
> One possible reason for your disfunctional crontab.

This seems not to be it either.

For the sake of my own sanity, I just opened up crontab -e one more
time. I typed in a tar.gz line, along with the extra blank line, and it
ran fine.

I then ran crontab -e again,and replaced the tar.gz command with the
name of my "backups" executable file, and nothing happens.

But "backups" runs fine from both regular user and SU. Very odd.

Well, it's not like I don't have crontab at all, and no emergency.
Perhaps something is broken in my Red Hat installation. I suspect the
answer will turn up eventually.

Thanks for all the help.

Chuck