[tlug] Japanese and Perl

After any input on using Japanese in Perl.

I've got an web application in cgi/Perl that I'm working on. The text
processing is straight forward and it handles Japanese text OK, the data
doesn't get mangled. But searches don't work. Reading the online Perl
material I thought Perl 5.6 would handle simple string matching but it
doesn't.

I'm looking for the simplest solution but all the reference material is
telling me conflicting advice.

Does anyone have experience with JPerl or the unicode modules?