Re: [tlug] MTA (was ...repetitive question...)

Jack Morgan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 11:53:01PM -0400, Josh Glover wrote:
>
>>>There is nothing wrong with Sendmail. It just takes time to learn it. For
>>>the impatient, there's postfix/exim.
>>
>>Nothing except that it sucks. ;) No, you are right, Sendmail is as usable as
>>anything else after you spend zillions of hours studying its wacked out
>>config language, and are willing to deal with its less than pristine
>>security record.
>

> Just because you can't reach a level of competency with Sendamil doesn't mean
> it "sucks".

The referee reaches into his pocket... and yes! A yellow card! Morgan
shakes his head in disbelief as Glover rubs the injured ankle.

I am tragically involved in running Sendmail for my company. I know my
way around the damned thing, and I know that I will choose to use a
different mailserver, thanks. I don't think that Sendmail "sucks" (note
the explicit wink above), just that it is not my personal choice.

I did not think that my competence would come under question for that.

>>I like qmail for its simplicity, as well as the knowledge that it was
>>designed with security in mind.
>
> That's great. You're the only one I know who does. What does that tell you?

That you don't know the same people I do. I know many BOFHs that use
qmail, largely for the same reasons that I do. In fact, an Internet
security company that I worked for a few years ago based their product
on qmail.

> In fact, I would speculate that most sysadmin/bofh on this list use sendmail.

That is fine. I am not terribly concerned with converting the world to
qmail. I prefer it, so I use it. End of story, except that I am not
afraid to mention the reasons I have for disliking Sendmail when it
comes up.

> I don't mean to be rude, it's just a fact. If there are others using qmail,
> speak up...

It may be a fact, but you were a bit offside, I think. No matter, though.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.