Re: [tlug] maybe a repetitive question about distros

Thankyou for all the help. So in resume taking the advices of all:

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 17:28, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> Pietro Zuco (pietro@example.com) wrote:
> > I'm sorry if that frase affect you in some way, but I don't think it's a
> > "bullcrap"
>
> Well, yeah, it's bullcrap.  It's bullcrap because Debian has an
> extremely strict definition of stable, and Red Hat and Mandrake
> have rather lax defintions of it.  At Debian, "stable" means
> something like "a high degree of certainty that there are no
> known bugs left" whereas at Red Hat and Mandrake, it's more like
> "we think there aren't any huge showstoppers left, but don't
> bet the farm on that."

This mean Debian is really stable.
BoTi, I'm sorry. Now I understand it was a bullcrap.

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 17:27, Josh Glover wrote:
> Luke Kearney wrote:
> > Try FreeBSD.
> >
> > It will give you a good comprehensive coverage of HW and it is *very
> > very* stable. It is not as *fat* as RH but just as functional. See
> > http://www.freebsd.org
>
> Right. FreeBSD is absolutely *renowned* for its comprehensive hardware
> support... *koff*

This mean FreeBSD is a good alternative. But it's not exactly Linux, and I
love Linux although some problems I have with it.

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 17:52, Luke Kearney wrote:
> [...]

I don't know FreeBSD and I never prove it. I'm according with you that a nice
desktop is not important. The thinks I hate of Redhat and Mandrakre and all
the distros like that are the automatism thay have. I don't want to use
windows with a Linux kernel. I only would like that the hardware
configuration part, was more automated, because it is the more diffucult part
of the configuration and settingup process, I think.
I remember that the first time I could setup my soundcard I jumped of
happiness but I can't pass through the same process for any thing I want to
plug into my computer.
I don't want to use so automated distros like Redhat and Mandrake but I have
to, because I don't have so many time to learn all the things I need to
configure the hard. I would like to take the hardware detection part and the
lightness of this distros and put it in Debian. I would be happy if this was
posible.
Why the dostros have to divide in Distros for Experts and Distros for really
really newbie! I would like that exist a Distro for the user with medium
knoledge!!!

So the conclution is:

1. Use Debian and try to have time to read howtos and a lot of
documentation to setup all hardware.

2. Use FreeBSD and let Linux appart.

Is it right?

Thankyou