Re: [tlug] fdformat

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 07:48:11PM +0900, hatsuhiro wrote:
> Tell me how to format an ext2 filesystem on a floppy disk. I tried
> formatting as shown below but couldn't mount /dev/fd0. Why not? It slipped
> from my memory though I did it well....

> fdformat /dev/fd0h1440
> ( ...... omitted ......)
> Formatting . . .  done
> Verifying . . . done
> oops:~# mount /dev/fd0h1440 /mnt
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
> oops:~# mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt
> mount: wrong fs type. bad option,bad superblock on /dev/fd0,
>            or too many mounted file systems
> oops:~#

You probably don't need to 'format' the disk at all. That means creating
the low-level structure of sectors and tracks, and unless you have
an unusual type of floppy or are trying to do something unusual with it
(e.g. create extra capacity), there is no reason to use fdformat.

Whether you use fdformat or not, you will need to use mkfs to 'make the
filesystem':

  # mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0

Hope this helps.
--