[tlug] iptables logging broken by default in RH73?

Is iptables broken out of the box in Redhat 7.3? I cannot get it to work
correctly. I do something as simple as:

iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -A INPUT -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -j LOG

But I when I ping localhost, I get no love in /var/log/messages, which
is where logging is supposed to occur, AFAIK. I know that things are at
least partially working, because packets are not getting through. If I do:

iptables -F INPUT
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -p icmp -j ACCEPT

my pings work, as expected. So why no logging?

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.