Re: [tlug] MySQL vs Oracle

benchmark page

http://www.mysql.org/doc/M/y/MySQL_Benchmarks.html

this should do good if your site expects more or less the same amount of
reading/writing

Oracle may or may not scale better - you should really assess what the
expected load will be on your site and then compare it against their
benchmark sheet.

Going with an expensive product comes with an advantage of holding someone
responsible in case there is a failure.  (Well, maybe in not every case
... so if you're going to counter-propose something, present your proposal
NICELY to the management, and if your boss says otherwise despite your
logical argument, then have his words in email so that your bum will be
covered later on)