Re: [tlug] mySQL installation problems

>>>>> "Jean-Christian" == Jean-Christian Imbeault <jean_christian@example.com> writes:

020604 13:13:55 Can't start server : Bind on Unix socket: Permission denied
020604 13:13:55 Do you already have another mysqld server running on
socket: /tmp/mysql.sock ?

    Jean-Christian> I checked and there is no mysql server already
    Jean-Christian> running. I also checked the permissions on mysql
    Jean-Christian> and they seem ok too. (I set them acording to the
    Jean-Christian> instruction given in the INSTALL file).

The error above is very specific.  For some reason mysql can't set up
the socket it uses to communicate.  Maybe /tmp/mysql.sock already
exists?  If so, remove it.  Maybe /tmp is not writable by mysql?  If
so, fix permissions of /tmp or the mysql binary.  Maybe /tmp is some
bizarre filesystem that doesn't support creating socket specials?

From unix(7):

NOTES
       In  the Linux implementation, sockets which are visible in
       the filesystem honour the  permissions  of  the  directory
       they  are in. Their owner, group and their permissions can
       be changed.  Creation of a new socket  will  fail  if  the
       process  does  not have write and search (execute) permis-
       sion on the directory the socket is created in.   Connect-
       ing  to  the socket object requires read/write permission.
       This behavior differs from many BSD derived systems  which
       ignore  permissions  for  Unix  sockets. Portable programs
       should not rely on this feature for security.

       Binding to a socket with a filename creates  a  socket  in
       the file system that must be deleted by the caller when it
       is no longer needed (using  unlink(2)).   The  usual  Unix
       close-behind  semantics  apply; the socket can be unlinked
       at any time and will be finally removed from the file sys-
       tem when the last reference to it is closed.