Re: [tlug] iso-2022-jp and shift-jis on IE and N6

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 03:28:40PM +1000,
Jim Breen wrote:
> >> 3 -- Shift-jis is crappy and inefficient but is the only usable charset for
> >> mobile phones.
> >> 4 -- Most mail should be in shift-jis to accomodate the mostly phone-based
> >> Japanese e-mail users.
>
> Wrong.  The standard, such as it is, for Japanese email is ISO-2022-JP.
> If NTT/DoCoMo got it wrong, there's no need for everyone else to follow
> them down that path.
>
> I was under the impression that DoCoMo converted Japanese email text going
> to i-mode phones. Does it?

They appear to, yes. I am able to send iso-2022-jp mail to my i-mode account
(and have it rendered correctly), and outgoing mail from the i-mode account is
iso-2022-jp encoded. The original poster is probably confusing the shift-jis
requirement for web pages with email. It may very well be the case that
DoCoMo's mail server and the i-mode keitai talk to each other in shift-jis,
but who cares as long as they play nice with the rest of the world?

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?    -- Steve Wright