Re: [tlug] html editor :) IBM Homepage Builder

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Tod McQuillin wrote:

> > Possibly only because "shift-jis" is not recognized, so once you put that, the
> > autodetect cut in.
> >
> > PS, the standard is "Shift_JIS" AFAIK.

Yes, and for more information:

http://www.puni.net/~mimori/rfc/rfc2822.txt

hung Vu

> Hm, interesting  --
>
> I loaded the html source into emacs and it recognised the japanese
> characters.  M-x describe-current-coding-system says:
>
> Coding system for saving this buffer:
>   S -- japanese-shift-jis-dos
>
> But I think you are right about Shift_JIS being the standard name.
>
> OK, I have looked into it some more.
>
> When I load the page in mozilla, from
> http://ww6.tiki.ne.jp/~mecooper/index.ja.jis.html, the "Page Info" window
> says Encoding: ISO-2022-JP, and the page is displayed as mojibake.
>
> When I save it to a file and read it again, it displays ok (regardless of
> the charset setting ih the meta tag).
>
> But this is perhaps what's really going on:
>
> % telnet ww6.tiki.ne.jp 80
> Trying 202.214.149.69...
> Connected to mx6.tiki.ne.jp.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> HEAD /%7Emecooper/index.ja.jis.html HTTP/1.0
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 12:26:09 GMT
> Server: Apache
> Last-Modified: Thu, 30 May 2002 03:14:30 GMT
> ETag: "155d7-b14-3cf59916"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
>

> The httpd gives an http header of
>
> Maybe that overrides the meta http-equiv.
>
> If so perhaps the only recourse is to write the document in iso-2022-jp.
>
> --
> Tod McQuillin

|                  Nguyen Hung.Vu                          |
| The University of Electro-Communications, Tokyo, Japan   |
| Takeshi's small space   http://site.techviet.com/vuhung/ |
| Join KDE-i18n-Vi?       http://vi.i18n.kde.org/          |
| VYSA                    http://vysasports.vngate.net/    |
| Vn Linux Users Group    http://vietlug.sourceforge.net/  |