Re: [tlug] kernel modules

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002 13:18:39 +0900 (JST), Akamine Hector
<hec_aka@example.com> wrote to tlug@example.com:

> Is there any way to know (without checking the compiled
> source) if a module was compiled in the kernel statically,
> separately as a module or not compiled at all?

It's not failsafe but you can try this.

Search through the /lib/modules/$(uname -r) tree searching for the .o file.
If it isn't there then it's either compiled in or not compiled at all.

Many modules, when running, show up as something under /dev or /proc, or as
configuration data under /etc - eg. if the vfat filesystem is available
it'll show up in /etc/filesystems.

Are you looking for any single module in particular or just "modules" in
general? With more precise info we could probably help you better.

Otherwise, rather than going through the entire source tree you can "just"
parse /usr/src/linux/.config