[tlug] kernel compilation questions

Thanks to Sajjad's pretty clear instructions I have been able to (finally!)
compile a kernel. Now I am trying my hand at compiling a kernel from SGI's
2.4.18-xfs source tree.

At the 'make modules_install' step however I get the following error:

depmod:  *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.18-xfs/kernel/fs/binfmt_elf.o

I'm sure I'll be able to fix this by playing around with the .config file
and togggling some option that has to do with ELF files ... but my question
is:

- what does this error mean? I am trying to compile a module that the kernel
hasn't been compiled to accept?
- Why wasn't this error caught earlier? How can I check before starting
compilation that there won't be any such errors? (The reason I ask this is
that it's really annoying to get an error at the last stage of compilation
... considering my machine is pretty slow ... about 30 minutes to compile a
new kernel ...)

Thanks!

Jc