Re: [tlug] Argh ... no luck installing XFS ... help

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 08:33:38PM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> If I roll a new kernel, say 2.4.18 instead of the 2.4.9-31 I have, will that
> render unsuable some of the installed software (like vi, apache, etc ...)?

highly unlikely. It should be noted however that a new kernel doesn't
require you to get rid of the old kernel, infact I would highly recommend
against doing so until you know the new kernel is solid. You just need to
roll the new kernel, and then add the new kernel to your boot manager.
If the new kernel breaks horribly then you can just boot from the old
kernel to try figuring out what went wrong. Anyway it sounds like you
have a lot of reading ahead of you. Good luck.

--Matt
--
"WWJD?  JWRTFM!!!"  --  seen on /.