Re: [tlug] PLEASE READ--I may have sent you a Virus!

[Godwin Stewart (Re: [tlug] PLEASE READ--I may have sent you a Virus!) writes:]
>> On Wed, 8 May 2002 18:47:56 +1000 (EST), Jim Breen
>> <jwb@example.com> wrote to tlug@example.com:
>>
>> > Thanks for the warning. Fortunately my email is handled/read on a Unix
>> > system. Virus infection is not possible.

Sorry this ended up on the list - I thought I was replying to an
individual.

>> I think you'll find that this is the case for many of us on this list.
>> However, I do believe that there *are* indeed viruses around at least for
>> Linux, maybe also for other forms of Unix.

So I have heard, but I know of no specific instances.

>> I do not know how these viruses are transmitted not how they infect a box.
>> The only thing I know is that we should not let complacency set in. The "I
>> use Unix, therefore I'm invulnerable" mentality is not a Good Thing (TM).

Yeah I know, but I never pass up a chance to crow to 'doze users

>> It is, however, true that a *nix box is far, far _less_ vulnerable than a
>> Windows box.

In terms of infection from email, I have about as much chance as a
contemplative nun has of getting AIDS. I may be hacked (although I think
my firewalls are pretty tight now), but you can't easily catch a virus
with mutt.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298