Re: [tlug] XFS on RH7.2

>From: Stuart Luppescu <s-luppescu@example.com>
>
>I never heard that. All four machines I have with XFS on them are all
>XFS. What's the problem? I don't use grub, though -- only lilo.

Since you can't install XFS support out-of-the-box you have to convert you
partitions one-by-one if I understand correctly how to install XFS. And
doing this for / is *a bit* (only a littl) tricky.

Furthermore how do you create a rescue disk? The rescue disk would also need
to understand XFS no?

LILO also seems to have issues ...

from http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#lilowork

Q: Does LILO work with XFS?

This depens on where you install LILO. For MBR installation: Yes. For root
partitions: No, because the XFS superblock goes where LILO would be
installed. This is to maintain compatibility with the Irix on-disk format.
This will not be changed. Putting the Superblock on the swap partition is
reported to work but not guaranteed.

from http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+XFS-HOWTO/x143.html#AEN146

Probably the trickiest part of creating a fully XFS system is migrating the
/ filesystem since that is the system that supports the entire rest of the
system and it cannot actually be unmounted while the system is running.