Re: [tlug] XFS on RH7.2

On 日, 2002-05-05 at 05:55, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> >I assume you mean the file system.
>
> Yup. Should have been clearer ...
>
> >Yes, Im running it on RH7.2, 2.4.18 kernel and its great. I love it.
> >My only complaint is the size of the patch to the kernel. about 18MB
> >uncompresed.
>
> Ouch. Was it hard to install. I don't have any experience compiling a new
> kernel and I am a bit wary of Xfs because of this. (Actually I tried
> ompiling a kernel just for fun last week and my kernel size doubled! Need to
> try again ...).

You don't need to build your own kernel. SGI provides kernel RPMs. You
can get a RedHat 7.2 install ISO image with XFS enabled; use it with the
standard RedHat install CDs. Very simple. That includes kernel 2.4.9 (or
is it 2.4.5?) and XFS version 1.02. But you can get a modified standard
RedHat 2.4.9 kernel rpm, or a 2.4.18 kernel rpm from the SGI web site
that include XFS version 1.1, which you can install after you do the
standard install.

I've been running XFS for about a year on four machines and haven't had
any troubles. I've had two power failures -- the fsck upon recovery of
power took less than a second and there was no loss of data or
filesystem corruption. I wouldn't use anything else now.
--
Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu@example.com
University of Chicago -=- CCSR