Re: [tlug] newly compiled bigger than default RH installed kernel

Hello Jean,

I nearly miss your post...

I have rebuilt 2.4.18 for my friend as he is using redhat7.1/kernel
2.4.17 has a security bug.

The new kernel is about 890KB in comparation with redhat's default
kernel 2.4.7 800+KB. I realized that if we use make *config and go
configure kernel option ourself, the size of bzImage will become quite
big. For the reason of laziness and safety, I install redhat's
kernel-*src.rpm and grab configuration files in /usr/src/linux/config.

Here is my config file.

http://site.techviet.com/linux/archive/kernel-2.4.7-i586.config

#Sorry for my bad English ;)

Hung Vu

On
Wed, 1 May 2002, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 11:01:26 +0000
> From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jean_christian@example.com>
> To: tlug@example.com
> Subject: [tlug] newly compiled bigger than default RH installed kernel
>
> I wanted to try my hand at compiling a new RH 7.2 kernel. I read a followed
> the how-to instructions and thinks seem to have gone well. (I didn't
> download anything new. I just wanted to try and make a smaller kernel).
>
> However when I compare the size of the new kernel vs the original (form a
> basic RH install) it is almost twice as big. I used "make config" for the
> configuration tool and all I did was remove option or make then loadable
> modules.
>
> I tough the template I started with was the current kernel's config file no?
> If so how could I make a bigger kernel by removing modules?
>
> Jc

|                 Nguyen Hung.Vu                          |
| The University of Electro-Communications, Tokyo, Japan  |
| Takeshi's small space  http://site.techviet.com/vuhung/ |
| Join KDE-i18n-Vi?      http://vi.i18n.kde.org           |
| VYSA:                  http://vysasports.vngate.net/    |
| Vietlug                http://vietlug.sourceforge.net/  |