Re: [tlug] FreeBSD.....Linux what's the difference

On 01:29 2002/05/02 +0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote
>"Micheal E Cooper" <mecooper@example.com> wrote:
>
>>When I searched Amazon.co.jp for books on FreeBSD, I think
>>it turned up two or three really old ones.
>
>Strangely enough I am doing the same search now and had the same luck as
>you! But ...

There's about 4.

Ms. Anderson's FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for your
Computer.  (I reviewed it on Amazon, but that was the old edition, so I
think my review is gone).
That one is along the lines of a good for Dummies book--a little bit too
simple, but some good things.  If it's something basic that you're not sure
of the procedure, not a bad place to start--just that it seems as if it
were written with the intention of being a FreeBSD for Dummies--but, that
probably gives a poorer impression of the book than it deserves.  Not a bad
starting point, but too much time on installation, which isn't that
hard.  If there's something where I'm having trouble with the man pages, I
check that one first. :)  (BTW, FreeBSD man pages are often considered to
be better than many of the Linux ones--not always true, but sometimes).

Next step up is probably FreeBSD Unleashed.  Clear, if sometimes
superficial, explanations of much of what you'll run into with the O/S. Too
much time spent on configuring Gnome and KDE (or maybe just one of them, I
forget, and I'd have to get up and take two steps to look. )  :)  However,
a nice intermediate book.  Much of your first few weeks with the O/S can be
covered by these two.

Greg Lehey's the Complete FreeBSD--that's pretty much considered the bible,
he publishes updates and such monthly. Pretty much lives up to its
name.  Although it doesn't go into great depth about some things, he
usually gives enough info to get you started.

FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide by Ted Mittelstaedt--doesn't spend too
much time on beginner stuff, cuts to the chase--how to set up DHCP, Samba, etc.
Pretty good if you already have a foundation (and it doesn't have to be
that great a foundation)

I think that's about it.

Quick note here--I'm posting a lot about FreeBSD, but I'm NO
EXPERT.  However, might be useful to someone who wants the newer user's view.

HTH
Scott Robbins