Re: [tlug] Rack Server Suggestions

GIC MLs (lists@example.com) wrote:

> Are these generic motherboards, or built specifically for *U cases?
> Where would you suggest looking for one in Akiba?

Generic ATX.  Plathome is a good source.  T-Zone DIY-kan also has a very
large motherboard selection.

> Ok, just so I have this straight... you are saying that a 4U case is built
> to hold 4U servers, which are 4 times as thick as 1U servers,
> and that I should put a 1U server in the 4U rack because the spaces between
> the servers will be bigger... right?

Umm, no.  You're mixing apples and oranges here, and somehow turning them into
guacamole :-)

A rack is a rack, and doesn't have anything to do with the case.  You do
already have a rack, right? If not, and if you want one, email me off-list.

A 4U case takes up four units (1 U = 1.75 inches) of vertical rack space.
A 1U case, then, obviously takes only 1 unit of vertical rack space.

A 4U case is easier to work with and has more drive space than a 1U or
(usually) 2U case, so unless you are really cramped for space in your
rack, a 4U case might meet your needs better.  It also gives you
the ability to put in expansion board (if, for example, you should
upgrade your LAN to GigE, you just replace the NIC; if it's a 1U
case with an all-in-one mobo, the only way to upgrade it to GigE is
to replace the motherboard).

You might also want to take a look at http://www.penguincomputing.com/

They sell a range of 1, 2, and 4U servers from basic boxes through
Quad-Xeon machines.   Probably something to fit your price range
there, too.

Oh, here's another thing to maybe keep in mind:  1U boxes use special,
low-profile power supplies, for obvious reasons.  If you're buying a 1U
box (or 2U that doesn't use a regular ATX power supply), considering buying
a spare power supply at the same time.  If the p/s fails, this isn't
going to be something you can just run down to your local computer store
and buy.

A 4U case, on the other hand, will use a standard ATX power supply.  Still,
having a good spare around doesn't hurt.  It can turn a power supply failure
from a multi-hour outage into a 30-minute outage.

Jonathan