hdparm questions ... Was Re: [tlug] Linux CVS kernel tree in Japan

>From: "A.Sajjad Zaidi" <sajjad@example.com>
>

>I doubt changing the file system alone would result in a 2.5x change and
>besides, hdparm tests the raw disk, not the file system. I suspect that
>its the settings related to your chipset that are making the difference.
>
>Run hdparm without any parameters on /dev/hda or whatever your HD is and
>see what I/O support and DMA are set to.

Ok, this is strange. I have two machines with supposedly the same hardware.
One has a 2.4.18 kernel with xfs support and all xfs fs's and the other a
2.4.19-pre9-xfs kernel with no xfs support and all ext3 fs's.

I was using hdparm ro see if the fs type and/or kernel made a difference in
HD speed.

hdparm shows that both machines haev identical settings, but running 'hdparm
-t' gives 18.03 MB/sec on one machine (2.4.19) and 37.87 MV/sec on the other
(2.4.18-xfs).

This doesn't seem to make any sense. I'm going to open them up to make sure
they really do have the same kind of HD's. Could it be a BIOS setting also?

Thanks!