Re: [tlug] Linux CVS kernel tree in Japan

>From: B0Ti <9915104t@example.com>
>
>I think you are trying to say "latest stable version".

Yes, sorry for the typos. Should start using a spell checker. All the
caffein I have imbibed today is affecting my coordination.

>Kernel development is not done with cvs. The boss decided so.

Shucks ... I'm the man had a good reason, but still ...

>But forget this bitkeeper tree, just go to ftp.yourcountrycode.kernel.org
>and get a tarball.

I would but the reason I was asking for cvs was so that I would only
download whatever new files there were and not the whole thing all over
again.

>What you wanna do is download v2.4/2.4.18.tar.bz2, extract it, then get
>v2.4/testing/patch-2.4.19-pre9 and patch the kernel tree.

Patch the kernel tree? Something else I have to learn ;) I was happy using
CVS for the 2.4-xfs tree since there no "patching" needed. Any new/modified
files were automatically download with a 'cvs -update'.

>but if I were you I would just use reiserfs that's been in the stable
>kernel for long and is a surely stable fs.

Will try Reiserfs for my next server and do some benchmarking to see which
is best fo me.

Oh, and I made a mistake in saying that my IDE HD speed was 2.5 times faster
with a newer kernel. Actually it's only about 40% faster. The 2.5 times
increase ocures if I use a new kernel *with* an XFS fs. What a difference an
XFS fs does in terms of speed! (I only used hdparm for benchmarking, so take
that with a big grain of salt).

Jc