Re: [tlug] Linux CVS kernel tree in Japan

On Thu, 30 May 2002 14:19:03 +0900
"Jean-Christian Imbeault" <jean_christian@example.com> wrote:

> I'd like to setup cvs on my machine so that I can have a local copy of the
> files needed to build the linux kernel

>(stable version, bot bleeding edge > :).
According to this philosophy  debian sid would have been released long ago as stable...
I think you are trying to say "latest stable version".

Kernel development is not done with cvs. The boss decided so. Lot's of people were bitching about it and a few months ago Linus adopted bitkeeper insted of cvs. See http://linux.bkbits.net/

But forget this bitkeeper tree, just go to ftp.yourcountrycode.kernel.org and get a tarball.

The bleeding edge is v2.5.19, but you don't wanna use that (I'm tring to compile every release since 2.5.10 but it fails always, lately during the i2c module installation...)

What you wanna do is download v2.4/2.4.18.tar.bz2, extract it, then get v2.4/testing/patch-2.4.19-pre9 and patch the kernel tree.
Additionally you can get some other patch not yet in marcello's release, like Alan Cox's:
kernel.org/linux/kernel/people/alan/linux-2.4/2.4.19/

I don't know about the xfs patch, but it I don't think it will be available for the latest "stable bleeding edge" kernel. You could try patching though, but if I were you I would just use reiserfs that's been in the stable kernel for long and is a surely stable fs.

--
B0Ti.