Re: [tlug] Secure alternative to ftp?

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 06:29:04PM +0900, ayako kato wrote:
> read (could have been some other mailing list) that ssh made by ssh.com
> offers a shell called ssh-dummy-shell which provides a means of secure
> file transfer without actually granting users a shell access.

Yes.  (And the license still seems to allow free use on free
Unixes.)

> One other solution I read about (using openssh) is giving sftp-server as
> the user's default shell. (in the /etc/passwd file) Again, I don't quite
> know how well this works.

I haven't tried that.

An alternative for use with OpenSSH is to use a program like
'scponly' as the shell.  It essentially vets the command that
SSH is trying to run and only allows scp/sftpd.
  http://www.sublimation.org/scponly/

--
Jim Tittsler                                         GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/