Re: [tlug] Secure alternative to ftp?

On Wed, 29 May 2002 18:20:41 +0900
"Jean-Christian Imbeault" <jean_christian@example.com> wrote:
> >3. You want to have unique users, but you don't want actual accounts?
>
> Exactly! I don't want to create local accounts becuase these users should
> never have access to the server as local users. (no login, no /home
> directories, etc ...)

So why don't you just create users with shell set to /bin/false and
not create home directories for them.  If you set their home dirs to
be something like /home/ftp I think you will see the functionality
you are looking for.

I haven't tested, but I am pretty sure that you don't actually need
shell login to use sftp.

--
Michael Doughty