Re: [tlug] Secure alternative to ftp?

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 01:51:03PM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a secure alternative to FTP or a way of making FTP
> secure? I was hoping to use SSH but just found out it can't really help
> with ftp

Well, I take it you've heard of scp, then? Of course, as you may have
discovered, the disadvantage of scp compared with ftp is that it lacks
an interactive shell.

But there's also something called sftp, which I think is basically FTP
over SSH. I haven't personally used it, just heard of it.

> . . And unfortunately some clients will be using windoze so any
> solution that has secure clients for Linux and windoze would be best.

There are several SSH clients for Windows. I've heard very good things
about SecureCRT from VanDyke Software; I believe it supports sftp.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA