Re: [tlug] moving files remotely

Are you using a versioning system like cvs? If not I would recommend
it. This will allow you to easily define different versions of the site
that you consider stable. And you can easily roll back the whole site,
or individual files if something breaks.

If you use cvs you can update (through ssh) files to the remote server,
and test them.

I think it is best to get a version of the site running, and then strip
out the CVS directories in case someone, somehow figures out some cvs
exploit and updates your production site. I don't know if this is
possible.

You could probably use rsync to keep your cvs release candidate
up-to-date with the production server.

Does anyone have experience doing something like this? I have never used
rsync before.

Automating rsync with cron may not be the best idea if there is a chance the site
could be broken by someone making changes. Rsync would update the site
even if it had not passed a quality assurance phase.

-michael